Just look at that chocolatey richness, gooeyness and creaminess. You can’t get a more delicious ice cream than this, and it’s incredibly easy to make.
But I must confess, you do need some sort of ice cream machine, even if it’s a cheaper one, it will help a lot with the creaminess factor.
This recipe does have a small disadvantage though, if you’re using a freeze-before-use ice cream maker, you need to freeze the bowl one day in advance. This means that you need to master your waiting game and resist that pesky craving another day.
Without further ados, here’s how I made mine:
Chocolate ice cream
15 minutes + 4 hours in the fridge
200g Double Cream
200g Whole Milk
3 Egg Yolks
2 Tbsps Caster Sugar
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
200g Good Quality Chocolate (I used Belgian Chocolate)
3 Tbsp Raw Cocoa Powder
- One day before making the ice cream, place the machine’s bowl into the freezer.
*Skip this step if you have a machine that also cools the mixture while stirring.
- In a saucepan, heat the cream, the milk, the cocoa and the chocolate until everything is dissolved and combined. Do not boil it, just heat it gently.
- Whisk in a bowl the egg yolks with the caster sugar and the vanilla extract.
- Pour the milk and cream mixture over the beaten egg yolks stirring constantly so the eggs won’t cook.
- Transfer everything back to the saucepan and heat it again on a medium-low heat for about 5-10 minutes. It should resemble a very light cream in consistency. Pay close attention to the pan, the mixture shouldn’t boil at all.
- Let it cool down at room temperature and then place it in the fridge for min 4 hours or until it is really cold. I do mine in the evening and let it cool overnight in the fridge.
- After the chocolatey mixture is completely cool, assemble your ice cream maker and pour the mixture in it according to the machine’s instructions.
Mine needs about 40 minutes of light stirring until it looks creamy enough.
- I transfer it then to a freezer friendly container and place it in for a few more hours. You can serve it right away if you prefer.
You’ll never buy ice cream again after you’ve tasted this marvel. Feel free to let me know if you’ve tried it. Enjoy!