More and more strawberries are appearing in our local groceries’ stores and I just couldn’t help myself making this sweet, fragrant and fresh dessert.
My mother sent me a truckload of organic eggs from her chickens and one evening, craving something sweet I decided to jump at it, although I always imagined Pavlova as this incredibly difficult dessert. It was quite easy.
Here’s how I did it.
Who’s keeping score?
5 egg whites
1 tsp corn starch
1 tsp salt
200g caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
- Whisk the egg whites until they become white and foamy.
- Slowly add the sugar, spoon by spoon.
Add the corn starch, vanilla and salt. Whisk further until stiff peaks form. It should look like this.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and draw a 20 cm circle in the middle.
- Place the meringue into the circle, making sure that the edges are a bit higher than the middle. Sort of like a volcano.
- Bake the meringue at 140C for 1 hour.
- Turn the oven off and let it cool completely into the oven.
- Decorate it with rich vanilla custard and fresh fruits.
Cannot wait to see your Pavlovas. Please feel free to send pics, I would love to see them.